Saturday, February 08, 2014

The chapter “Ghana” – The Giving Three

My last class took place in the week before the exam week, which started on the 2nd of December in 2013. I had kicked out some students from my class in this term because of their bad behavior, refusal of participating in my class, or not passing the 50-Computer Terminology exam. Although I reduced the passing mark from 45 to 35, 30, or even 20, those students didn’t study at all, so I gave them regrettably because they had gave up the exam. If you are not qualified, you wouldn’t get any thing in life so I thought it’s better for them to have such a bitter experience. However I invited all my students for my last class in order to show my gratitude to them for the time that we share and the way that we walked together in the last 2 years and 2 months at Savelugu School For The Deaf.
At first, I called them by the sound of their names like teachers doing in hearing schools. Although no student put hearing aid and I knew that most of them couldn’t recognize it, I wanted to call my students with my voice at last and it was a kind of an entertainment for a farewell party. For me, it was the dramatic and special moment, but it seemed to be just an ordinary moment in everyday life for them. In my experience, Ghanaian students are always very dry and optimistic when they leave the school and I’ve never seen student crying unlike Japanese who always set up a stage and enjoy dramatic stage effects and tears. It’s an interesting cultural difference. And I talked about importance of right behavior and “Try & Continue” and explained why Daigo always got angry and scolded them. Although how much they understood my words, all students looked at me seriously and concentrated on my talk. I can’t change their life but I can give them my words; all I can do is to plant seeds for future in their hearts and if they give water and bring up, it’ll help them in future. 
And since it was the review week, I gave as usual some “information” for the exam, which was in fact the leak of real questions and answers. At the end of term, I always organize an event for evaluation of result in the term where students get some prizes like toffee, biscuit, juice, shirts, clothes, notebook, pen, toys if they marked good results. I don’t give anything for no reason, but they “get” it by their efforts in exam. And my exam is very easy if students study the points I mentioned in the revision, so I always give hints, clues and even answers before an exam and hope that all students will get the prize. There is more unfairness than fairness in life. I want them to experience the fairness, so I never allowed them to cheat, lie, steal and any bad behavior, and I’ve given them the chance to get something with their efforts. Life isn’t fair but I’m fair to my students.
In the last 2 weeks of my stay in the school, I’d been very busy to edit the film “Walk Together” and the graduation video for JHS-3 students. And I needed to make copies of DVDs for students and teachers and after the exam I called students to distribute the DVDs. Actually this became the last class in Savelugu School For The Deaf. And on the 12th of December, 2013, all students had gone home and my duty at the school was finished, and the campus became empty and quite. I cleaned my house to return it back to the school and checked things in the computer lab to complete my duties. I walked around the campus and entered classrooms. And when I was seeing the ground, sitting down by a school building, I recalled the days I came to the school 2 years ago. I remembered a scene of a student walking on the ground at evening and in the next moment I realized that it was the beginning of the film “Walk Together”. Namely the film had already started 2 years ago on that day. There, I thanked my students, colleagues, and the God of Ghana for the chapter “Ghana”.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment