Saturday, April 13, 2013


Rahina the Smile


“Did she write this? Wow, Rahinatu, that girl… And it is ‘English’ and it’s not just a copy, but she managed to express her feelings in words...”, said Fauzia, English teacher for JHS-2 and JHS-3. It was surprising news for me as well, because she couldn’t write even her name in the task... 
When I came to the school for the homestay program, I was really surprised by English words written on blackboards in classrooms. I had thought that the deaf were bad at English and students’ English ability was my anxiety, but when I saw many difficult words and complicated English there, I was relieved a bit by that “fact”. In any event, my first job was to check students’ English level. But I came to be more surprised by the result of their English: they couldn’t write and read English. I wondered, “What is this result?” It was quite simple that teachers just wrote words on blackboards, following syllabus and students just took note without understanding the meaning of words, following teachers who just followed the syllabus. And when I gave a task to write about Introduce yourself, some students couldn’t write even “their name” because they didn’t understand the meaning of “Introduce yourself”, which I explained in sign language. This is the “fact” in the school. 
For deaf people, English grammar is very difficult because it’s abstract; they are not good at categorizing or grouping things in one concept. For example, I, you, he, she, we, they, it are all “Subject” but for them “I” is just “I”, they don’t understand why there is another name “Subject”, which is the name of categorization, and “You”, “I” and “He” are all different but they’re all the same “Subject”, it’s extremely difficult for them to grasp the idea. And when they talk in sigh language, if they say, “My” walk, or “Me” walk, both ways work in their conversation, and rather in Ghanaian sign language “I (raise up little finger and tap chest with side of index finger)” is a bit clumsy to do, so students don’t use “I” at all in their talk. Moreover if you add past tense, future tense, adjective, adverb, and conjugation of verbs and so on, their brain “freeze” like an old computer. However English is very important for them because it’s a tool to study all subjects; sign language is based on English, and it’ll be a weapon to survive in society after school. And I teach my students: You are deaf, so you don’t have “voice”, but with English and the Internet, you can have “voice” in society. 
So I started an extra class for English afternoon to improve their English ability. However it wasn’t very easy to call students every afternoon; although I got permission from the school, it wasn’t an “official” class, so I couldn’t force them to come everyday. At maximum 20 students participated it and at minimum 1 student came for it, and Rahinatu was one of students who participated it. She is meek, modest, humble, and very “clumsy” and her smile is “perfectly beautiful” because her heart is so pure and innocent. And she is very kind, compassionated, sympathetic, especially when she takes care of small children, the atmosphere is filled with kindness as if the whole scene was covered by velvet veil of Love. Her smile is eternity. Yet she can’t survive in society only with her beautiful smile and needs to get weapons. So I always called her for the extra class and she tried to attend it.
As a mid-term test, I gave JHS students a task of essay: “A letter to a Japanese friend”, in which they wrote about themselves, Ghana, and Japan, and Rahinatu could expressed herself in it, which surprised and pleased the English teacher, Fuazia. I was very happy to see Fauzia’s smile when she read Rahinatu’s paper and her smile made Rahinatu smile when Rahinatu saw Fauzia’s smile. Smile is passed to others by smile. If you smile, I smile, and I smile and you smile. It’s just simple:)))





No comments:

Post a Comment