Sunday, February 03, 2013


JOCV (Japan Overseas Cooperation Volunteer)


I’ve been working in Ghana as a volunteer in a deaf school since November, 2011, and must explain the background of my current situation. In October, 2010, I applied for a post of volunteer and in September, 2011, officially became a member of JICA (Japan International Cooperation Agency), which is a national organization and distributes Japanese volunteers to developing countries all over the world. And my official status is called JOCV (Japan Overseas Cooperation Volunteers) and I was assigned as an ICT teacher for 2 years at “Savelugu School For The Deaf” in Ghana. Although my position in the school is a teacher, the official name of post in JICA is called “Youth activity”, whose expected duties include not only assigned work itself - to teach ICT, but also cultivation of children’s aesthetic sensibilities, moral education, and disciplines. Therefore I must contribute to humanize children; sadly enough, some parents don’t give proper education and discipline in family.
And then I must refer to the status of my passport. I've got a diplomatic passport for this occasion, so my existence has become, in my understanding, not only private but also “public” automatically. Namely regardless of my will, I represent Japan; in other words, people regard my words and behavior as Japan's. Although it might be a bit heavy for some volunteers to shoulder it, I am very happy with it and feel honor to take responsibilities in Ghana as a representative of Japan.
Now let me talk about my work and assignment place. Although my primary job is to teach ICT (Information and Communication Technology) - computer skills and knowledge, in the deaf school, I have no experience of teaching Computer beforehand. Yet almost 10 years ago, I learned “IT (Information Technology)” skills and knowledge in Australia, but I was a student, not teacher. And what’s more difficult is that I must teach it in sign language to deaf students from primary-4 to JHS-3, 7 classes, about 160 students, so this is a big challenge for me. And when I came to the school for homestay last year, I checked computers in the lab, which had been abandoned for a long time, and only 4 computers out of 18 were working properly without problem, and what’s worse, 2 newly bought computers were destroyed by mice, not computer “mouse”, but animal mouse, due to the bad maintenance of environment. This was the start. And I repaired more than 10 computers little by little, including one for office use, and currently 13 computers are working (3 computers were broken again in the last 6 months because of the heat, dust, or excessive use of computer etc.).
And there is no Ghanaian ICT teacher sent by GES (Ghana Educational Service) in the school at the moment, though there used to be one. This is problematic because whatever I do in the school, it will be lost after I leave the school, which means that my work is, as a result, not constructive and continuous; there is nothing to be shared and connected to the future. I don’t say my work will be in vain but it is sad. JICA policy requires the host organization to provide a counterpart, who helps and collaborates with volunteer, but the former principal (since November, the new head has been replaced) was not helpful at all, so she didn’t make sufficient effort to set up the basic environment, which is supposed to be talked about and understood when the school made contract with JICA. Anyway I'm the first volunteer in Savelugu School For The Deaf, so it is me who should make efforts to build up basic environment for future volunteers following. Things don’t change overnight.
Well, I talked about a bit of background and my situation in the school. Although there're so many things to talk about, that’s enough for today. Anyway I'm very happy to write to you, thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment